Saturday, March 17, 2018

The Tits - Winter Birding 2

Among the wintering birds, the blue tits and great tits are the most common.











They're everywhere, flying as a "gang" or solo.




They gather amongst the spruce and pine foliage, and hold their unseen yet audible "conferences".






They perch on bare twigs, basking in the sun, showering in the snowfall, singing, calling.












They snuggle among the fluffy cushions of snow that settled on the clusters of pine needles.






They swarm around the feeders to dine in or take out a seed, a nut or a bit of fat. They come to our balcony feeder everyday, so I have several chances to observe and photograph them.










The coal tit is a lifer for me this winter. Since they are not so common around here, I was so glad when I spotted my first one.




Later, one came to visit our feeder a few times but it was moving the whole time so I had difficulty capturing it. One dark day it perched on the tip of the spruce tree beside our balcony and I had the chance to shoot it through our window pane, which accounts for the blurry and grainy images.






The willow tit is another lifer that I unexpectedly spotted in a pine forest while waiting for the gray-headed woodpecker to show up. It was quite hard to find it as it perched among the frosty pine needles.








There are other tits spotted around here that I desperately want to see but they're quite elusive to me. Someday though, I'm going to find them.




Aren't the little common birds beautiful too? They are definitely worth our notice and admiration!

Hopefully, my limited tits collection will expand. And so will my life list.

Linking up with




No comments:

Post a Comment