Sunday, January 3, 2016

Northern Lights - When the Sky Turned Green

In my latest aurora blog, Tangerine Clouds Across the Auroras, I mentioned that that was just a prequel to a bigger show that appeared the following night, and that I was going to post it in the future. Unfortunately, that future stretched out to 2016. There have been smaller aurora appearances since then, but I still have to keep a vivid memory of the Oct. 7, 2015 appearance.





The northern lights that time were so strong that even when the afternoon was still bright, the movements of the dancing lights were visible across the blue sky. When the afternoon deepened, the whole sky seemed to be layered with an organza cloth in pastel green. I was out on a mission that time so I didn't have my right camera. Even then, I used the point-and-shoot camera that I always bring with me and took a few snapshots. As expected, they're quite blurry.




As soon as I came home, despite my churning tummy due to hunger, I went to our backyard and started to take longer exposure shots. By then, the aurora had begun to light up intensely and my camera worked non-stop until the lights subsided. Watching the lights banished my hunger.

Here are some of the images I took.















"O'er all the widespread northern skies,
How glows and waves that heavenly light,
Where dome and arch, and column rise
Magnificently bright!"
-from The Aurora Borealis by S.G. Bulfinch


















"Every good gift and every perfect present is from above, coming down from the Father of the celestial lights, who does not vary or change like the shifting shadows."
-James 1:17


No comments:

Post a Comment