Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring Equinox


A few days ago, I prepared to  write about the nearness of spring with the title, Almost Spring. But then, I wasn't able to get to that on account of other priorities that I must take care of.

So now, I'm writing about the presence of spring instead. March 20 is this year's spring equinox. The word equinox came from the Latin aequus (equal) and nox (night), because around the equinox, night and day are about equal length. Broader and clearer explanations of this word can be found HERE.






So spring has come officially. Here in our place, though, which is high up in the northern hemisphere, spring will claim its rightful place in the stream of time by the middle of April, according to a local news release. Right now, we are still covered with mounds of snow, the grounds still tucked in a thick blanket of snow, and temperature remains below zero. But the days are mostly sunny, the sky clear blue, and the air feels and smells real spring. Flocks of birds start to frolic overhead.  Bare trees bask in the warmth of the sun. Some willow trees are budding out. The snow is melting out gradually, some turning to ice, then dripping in the heat of the sun.

A pleasant beginning.























Okay, I'm going to include here the events during the last days of winter. They were days filled with geophysical activities. Sometimes, the snow came falling even amid the sunshine. Temperature remained around minus 8 degrees celsius. Sundogs were common sights in the mornings, and even now in spring. Active aurora borealis danced in the night sky.  Fantastic cloud formations gathered around the waxing spring moon. What more could one wish for? 


















All these marvels were winter's wonderful ways of saying goodbye and giving way to spring.  

And so, once again, I'm going to say goodbye to winter. It's been an awesome season, one I'll never forget.

And with arms wide-open, I welcome spring! Soon, I will feast my eyes on its brilliant colors that will fill my heart with gladness.