Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Echoing a Writer's Creed






"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." –Charlotte Bronte, from the book Jane Eyre 

When I read this book for the first time, over twenty years ago, it became one of my all-time best-loved books. The line quoted above instantly struck a chord in my heart, and I also adopted it as my personal credo. The message is clear: life in this world is so short that we should not waste a moment of it dwelling on negative things and feelings. Such thoughts cannot do us good at all, but can only pull us down.

I’m not blind so as not to see the negative things around me. I’m not a robot so that I can’t feel the arrows of hurt and pain. But I’m trying to keep myself out of this unpleasant side of life, and I’d rather stay on the sunny side. I don’t  ”keep account of the injury” nor do I intentionally injure anyone. I don’t allow any bad feelings to remain in my heart, for doing so will only weaken my spirits and make me sick. I’m doing my best to focus on things that are pleasant and keep myself busy with activities that nourish my spiritual being, and other worthwhile endeavors so as not to give room for any negative thoughts and feelings. I’m always looking for beauty and the good side of everything, even in little things, in unpleasant places and in every person I meet. There are so many beautiful things to do and think of, so why should I waste my time on things that don’t benefit me at all?

Having such outlook makes me at peace with everybody and helps  keep my joy in serving my Creator and my fellowmen amidst adversities.

Charlotte Gainsbourg as Jane Eyre (1996 film version)




1 comment:

  1. Hi Charlene, today it's raining here and instead of going for a bike ride and getting all cold and wet I decided to spend some time exploring your other blog (this one!). What a treasure! I had no idea you were not from Sweden, and I'm enjoying so much to read your reflections on nature. They bring many memories of the time I moved to the northern hemisphere. I'm originally from South America. Even after so many years, I'm still amazed by it all. Thanks for sharing your impressions, your blog really touched my heart - and I don't mean only the beauty of nature, but also messages like this one here (I should print it and read it once in a while, to stop wasting precious time on things that don't bring much value). Wishing you a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete