Sunday, January 6, 2013

Keeping Up and Marching On


I'm not one who makes new year's resolutions, neither do I greet anyone "happy new year". Not only at the start of the year that I resolve in my heart to do something good or set new goals, but each day that comes, and I really do my best to keep what I have resolved to do. I cheerfully greet everyone I know "have a good/great day", smile at every stranger I meet wherever I go, and try to be courteous to everybody, EVERYDAY.

A new year for me has become a way of counting the length of time I've been living away from my country of origin. I've just passed through the gateway of my fourth year in Sweden. The past three years have been filled with new experiences, excitement, fascination, discoveries and accomplishments. I've been thriving extremely well here despite the diametrical differences between these two countries. I don't yearn for "home" at all except for my family and close friends. So far, all is well with my life here.




Looking back, I can see that I have been living one of the immortal quotes in Anne of Green Gables, "It's not what the world holds for you. It's what you bring to it."  All these years, I didn't go about looking for what the world may hold for me, but that I have brought in countless worthwhile things to it. So I believe.

Through my divinely ordained work, I was able to bring hope, comfort and encouragement to many, to help them understand that this life is not all there is for mankind but that our loving Creator has a grand purpose for the earth and his human creations.

Through my humble secular works, I brought a measure of convenience to peoples' lives by providing them a cleaner and fresher environment. And I could see their satisfaction and gratitude for my services.

By being selfless and self-sacrificing, I was able to put the interests of others ahead of mine, thus helping the weary ones to lighten their loads.

By being polite, cheerful and all-smiles to everybody the whole time, I could see how the recipients were affected positively, even those who had wry faces. The surrounding would suddenly turn pleasant and stress-free.

Through my wanderings, I scattered my footprints all over the country and its neighboring countries, that those who may find them might retrace them and be inspired and spiritually uplifted by the marvels of creations that exist everywhere, the way they did to me.

Through my handcrafting, I made and gave out cards to express my thanks, appreciations, greetings, well-wishes and encouragements to friends and acquaintances.

Looking forward, I will keep doing the fine things that I have started and find out new ways to touch peoples' lives and influence them for good. I will keep following these words of an ancient wise king:  "The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13) Fulfilling this obligation has always proved to be a source of true happiness, security and a truly satisfying life.

I will keep marching on, doing things in my stride, making each day count, asking our heavenly Father to   "Show us just how to count our days in such a way That we may bring a heart of wisdom in." (Psalm 90:12)

And while moving on, it's always advantageous to remember another line from Anne of Green Gables:




Let the days roll on. I will maintain my joyful heart. I will keep using my life to serve my Creator and my fellowmen. I will keep living a simple life. I will keep shining.

I wish everyone who reads this a Happy Everyday!